Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

What are you clinging to?

Can you remember back to when you were a kid? What I mean is how much things have changed and how different things are. In remember growing up on our farm and when dad would take the pickup into town or to a neighbors house my two sisters and I would hop in the back and off we'd go. We were supposed to sit down and not move but sometimes we set on the wheel wells and had a better view, after all we were all pretty young. I remember hopping in moms ole bomb and rolling down the windows to stay safe because of the leaky exhaust and rust holes. The car should have been called mobile suicide. We didn't even know if the car had seat belts and if it did we probably would have been more likely to tie them around our waists in case the floor gave out.
Fast forward a few years. Married with children and approaching the same circumstances I grew up around seem like insanity. Why would any parent in their right mind allow a child to ride in the back of a pickup going down the road. I can't find the buckle to my seat belt so two people are strapped together in their 3 point harness which is sure to prove interesting in an accident situation. Air bags, on star, and AAA are all at my rescue should I need them. I never thought my parents were bad parents but it is amazing how terrifying it would be to put a 30 lb. kid in the back of a truck when you've seen 150 pound items fly out of the back of a truck and the damage it did when it hit the ground. My parents didn't play Russian rulet with my life so what's changed? It is pretty simple. Our culture has!
It says your not smart enough to take care of yourself so you better find someone to help you. It tells you that your not strong enough so you need to find something to help you. In the same breath it says you don't need anyone, but you do need "stuff". After all you know the old antage, "the one who dies with the most stuff wins".
Honestly, I can do without a lot of stuff. I don't need to be the best, fastest, strongest, handsomest, wisest, person, although I am. tee hee. What I do need is to know who I am and my identity. I do need to know in a world full of uncertainty that I am safe and confident. I've looked in a lot of places for happiness, security, acceptance and have always been disappointed until the day I inquired of the stranger. This stranger was noble, royalty in fact and offered to take me in, feed me, clothe me and protect me. He made my enemies tremble at His presence. And then He offered for me to live with Him as a son forever. I would receive my own mansion and untold of treasure. And then with a tear in His eye He tells me of His Son, whom was beaten, abused, spat upon and murdered in a most horrendous way. Because of His Son, I can come and be part of His family and although His Son was left for dead, He came back from the dead and is now with Him. The name of His Son, is the most well known name in human history and is used as a curse word by some. Some have issued law suits and petitions to ban His name from even being mentioned. His name has been ban from our courthouses, senate, house and maybe even your vocabulary.
This name that is above all names is.....Jesus Christ. Do you know Him?
If you would like to know more send me a comment and I will be in touch. If you already know Him are you trusting Him.
Till next time
P.M.