Search This Blog

Monday, May 12, 2014

Is it time to take a stand?

I must say that as a pastor there are times that you really don't fully apply or appreciate the message your giving until your in the middle of it and, "wham", it hits you that there are some things you may have over looked.
Let me explain. We have been going through the calling of Saul to be Israels first king. They are transitioning from a theocracy to a monarchy and Saul is called. I explained the process of God's calling and that there seems to be a pattern of private leading and instructing followed by a time of public calling. We see it in Saul, Mary and Joseph, David, Saul of Tarsus, Moses, and Jesus to mention a few.
So there I am preaching the word out of 1st Samuel and I ask the congregation what their calling is, when bam it hits me that most people don't have any idea. Callings are for pastors and worship directors, elders and children's ministry directors, but not for me. That seems to be the source of the confusion. Do all people have a calling? In short, yes. I can't swallow the idea that someone was created for idleness, or self pleasure. Every person created has a purpose and if you think about it, that purpose is their calling. Now some might argue the semantics of this, but it is logical to follow it through. Everyone of us has an area that is a source of passion where we get so excited talking about something, or angry about something, that we can hardly keep it in. People we talk with about these things can sense your strong opinion in your voice and behaviors.
Unfortunately that is where it stops for 85% of us. I would be willing to go out on a limb and say that Christians do a far worse job of this than the secularist. But that is only my opinion. Why is it that we can have so much passion and then drop it like a hot potato? We will sit on the sidelines, crabbing, complaining, moaning and griping and walk away only to repeat this again and again. What a crock!
Your calling would be, if you so decide to follow it through, to get involved in some way to make a positive difference. We always think someone else will do it, or I don't have the time or patience. Guess what? I have excuses just like everyone, but isn't it time to get involved? Imagine if you would stand up for a strong marriage, excellent schooling, ethical politics, (can't believe I put those two words together, ha ha) or freedom with our faith?
Maybe this is your wake up call. I had mine on Sunday, what's it going to take for you to get involved?
Till next time
P.M.
p.s. I can't wait to share the reviews on two books I am currently reading. keep watching for my reviews to be posted.