Search This Blog

Monday, February 21, 2011

Living on a Prayer

How often do I really rely on the power of prayer? Do I believe that God will really answer my prayers? these are the types of questions that most of us struggle with from time to time, but let me get down right personal with you and ask you a question. Who is it that you first turn to when things get tough. When you desire a kind and listening ear or just want to share your hearts desires? Even for myself the first name that often comes to mind is my wife. My thoughts instantly turn to her when my day goes rotten or great disappointment comes, and especially when I am anxious about something. Who is it in your life that first comes to mind when you have to talk to someone?
By now most of us have caught on and began to justify, I know it should be God but its ------. Listen, I know all about excuses and to be honest I have known my wife longer than I have known Jesus. Its natural to call on those that the Lord has blessed us with in our times of need. For instance if your pants were on fire you wouldn't call your banker but you would call the person closest to the fire extinguisher. If your cat is playing in the street and the neighbor kid is racing toward it in his camaro, you wouldn't call his mom but you would wave him down and try to get his attention. So why is it so hard for us as we grapple to hold the Lord as first place in our lives? Jesus Himself, in His great sermon on the mount, instructed His disciples to "Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.(Matt. 6:33). He then follows this statement up in the next verse reassuring us. "do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Amen to that, huh? If you find yourself in life's throws and are facing crisis, discouragement or blessings you desire to share, start with the Lord. He cares more than anyone around us could. Now with that being said, I do encourage us all to be involved in life groups and to the fellowship of the saints. For a listing of life group opportunities and meeting times go to www.hillsidebaptist.org. click on the life groups link and get involved! Until the next time, Seek the Lord!
Mark