Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2011

Million dollar gifts?

I'm not a huge reality TV fan, however I have seen the previews of a new series called "secret millionaire". I saw a clip from the first episode and was convinced that these people were trying to sooth some sort of guilt or needed a pick me up so they wrote a check and went on with life. Although I am still convinced of this to a certain degree, I neglected to really see the whole picture, until last night. I was sitting down relaxing after a long week and kicked up my feet, turned on the t.v. and "secret millionaire" was just coming on. I can't explain why I didn't change the station, as many of my more preferred viewing was on other channels. Nonetheless I stayed tune and once again saw a man who was admittedly lazy as a teen, come up with a great idea and recently sold his company for around 500 million dollars. As is expected he lived off poverty level income for one week, slept in poor conditions and tried to fit in with the homeless and what many would consider the outcasts. He tried to find ways to volunteer but wasn't having much success until he met a man who had a designer hat store, that he used the back room to put hygiene kits together and then took them to the projects and handed them out. Now many people give or serve and that is commendable but as they were handing out these bags a man with a walker walked by and had extremely bad shoes on. The man in our story, not the millionaire, took off his newer leather, and very expensive, shoes and gave them to this man. The millionaire began to cry and commented, I have never seen such selfless love in all my life. What a testimony to how God uses people. Those who acknowledge him and those who don't are still orchestrated together to lead us to the end result. Revealing the true character of God. Jonah fled from the call to go to Nineveh because he knew that God was a compassionate and loving God and God showed Jonah that very love by sparing his life and recalling him to go and do as he had been told. The moral of this story is the same as the ending of Jonah. God leaves Jonah with a question that we need to ask ourselves, 4:11  "Should I not have compassion on Nineveh, the great city, in which there are more than 120,000 persons who do not know their right hand from their left hand, as well as many animals?" Who has received the million dollar gift of the gospel message from you?
Until next time, keep serving!!